My honest review of books & other products

I love to read & I love to save money on good products for my family of six. Here, I'll share my thoughts on various books and other products in hopes it may help someone else!

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Lilies in Moonlight by Allison Pittman

Fairly predictable, but still enjoyable.  Pittman is writing a series of "baseball" books and this is the third.  However, it's not a chronological series, from  what I gather, so the characters are independent in each book (although some overlap.) 

I enjoyed the 1920's setting--flappers, prohibition, baseball.  The heroine is an emotionally damaged young lady who meets an exceptional, yet mentally failing, older woman.  That relationship transforms her inside.  The son of the older woman becomes a key character, as well. 

I appreciated the themes of forgiveness, redemption, and grace throughout the book.  These are clearly spelled out and the salvation plan is given, as well.  Encouraging for a Christian and perhaps an  invitation for a non-Christian.

I didn't like that the author uses quite a bit of sensual imagery in the story.  While it certainly fit the characters and sometimes was recognized by the characters as sinful, it is not always treated so...sometimes the character's indiscretions are left open to be judged by the reader as appropriate or not--or the author may present the actions as cute or fun, while in reality, they are flirting with sexual immorality and lust.  I'd love to see the author develop her characters without leading the reader to this point.

Overall, it was a fun book.  Not greatly moving, but a fun and relaxing read!  Thanks for providing it for me for free, Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers!

No comments:

Post a Comment