My honest review of books & other products

I love to read & I love to save money on good products for my family of six. Here, I'll share my thoughts on various books and other products in hopes it may help someone else!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Great devotional book for teen girls!

Izzy's Pop Star Plan by Alex Marestaing is a great, creative devotional book for girls!  It is written as a daily blog and each day builds on those before it...so it reads a bit like a novel!  I've never seen a devotional book in this format, and it seems that it is a great tool for teen girls. 

The story follows a girl (Izzy) on her journey as a contestant on an international, pop-star singing competition (much like the television show American Idol.)  After each "blog" entry, Izzy (or a commentor) includes a verse related to the content of the blog content for the day.  Usually, a brief prayer is included, as well.  The entries are interesting and cover a number of topics relevant to girls today--such as:  God's unchanging love, sharing Christ's love, doing what's right when it's hard, obeying parents, and so much more.  The story addresses mistakes Izzy makes, dating issues, fame/popularity, and more...all of it pointing to Christ and loving Him and others.

One concern that I do have with the book is that it is perhaps a bit superficial for a girl with a strong relationship with Jesus.  While the book and its content are Bible based and inspiring, I would guess that a strong Christian will need more than just this short daily reading to keep her walk with Jesus strong.  But that doesn't make the book any less interesting or encouraging for a strong Christian girl--she just will likely want to go deeper.  On the other hand, the lack of depth may be just right for a new Christian who is just beginning a daily devotional time or even a non-believer who perhaps has an interest in faith.

All in all, I, as an adult, found the book interesting and believe any 12-16 year old might, too!  Thanks to Thomas Nelson for sending me a complimentary copy to review!

No comments:

Post a Comment