My honest review of books & other products

I love to read & I love to save money on good products for my family of six. Here, I'll share my thoughts on various books and other products in hopes it may help someone else!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions for Kids by Sarah Young

     This devotional book for kids is filled with a year's worth of devotions--one each day!  They are dated with the day of the year, but not the day of the week--so it can be used year after year (a great thing, in my opinion because God speaks to us in new ways from the same passage, many times!)
      The devotions contain a short scripture printed at the top and a one page message taken from the theme verse.  Scripture references follow for further study--a great thing for older children, especially!  I used the devotional book with my own four children and found the short verse and message appropriate for the kids aged five through ten (my three year old's attention span was much too short!)  I, as an adult, also really appreciated the messages and often found God speaking to my heart through them!
     The one thing I disliked about this book is that it is written from the first person--as if Jesus himself is speaking the words in the devotional thought.  This was really confusing for my kids, who kept asking if Jesus wrote this or said this.  It was difficult to explain that it was a woman who wrote it from the perspective of Jesus.  I ended up changing it to read from the third person point of view instead and this seemed to be much better understood (and I felt more comfortable with it, too, since they really are not the words of Jesus!)
     Overall, I enjoyed this book that Booksneeze sent to me to review!

No comments:

Post a Comment